Fees, Permits, & Reservations

Recreational Activities

The general public does not need to pay entrance fees, make reservations, or obtain permits from the National Park Service for any recreational activities at Big Hole National Battlefield including hiking, picnicing, attending ranger programs, or enjoying the Big Hole visitor center. However, anglers must possess a valid Montana state fishing license and must comply with State of Montana sport fishing regulations.

For your convenience, we provide Lifetime Senior Passes, Annual Senior Passes, Access Passes, and the America the Beautiful Annual Pass at the Big Hole Visitor Center for visitors who want to obtain them for future trips to other federal public lands. Visit the USGS Store for more information about all Federal Recreation Land Passes, or to purchase one online.

School and Tour Groups

Primary, secondary, and home-school teachers interested in Coyote Camp can visit our education page. Due to limited staffing, we are not able to offer private tours or programs to school, Road Scholar, or other groups. However, all groups are welcome to watch the park film, hike the trails, puruse the visitor center, and participate in regularly scheduled battlefield tours and ranger programs.

First Ammendment Activities

As in all units of the National Park Service, First Amendment Activities are welcome here. The Designated First Amendment Area is located south of the Visitor Center just past the tipi demonstration area next to the parking lot.

First Amendment activities must not interfere with other permitted activities or regular park programing. Groups of less than 25 people are exempt from filing a permit request. Groups of 25 or more must contact the park superintendent to obtain a permit:
Phone: (406) 689-3155 x 1024
e-mail us

Commercial Film Permits

Permits are required for commercial operations wishing to film within the boundaries of Big Hole National Battlefield. Please contact the park superintendent to discuss your film idea and obtain a permit.
Phone: (406) 689-3155 x 1024
e-mail us

Research and Collection Permits

Big Hole is interested in working with researchers from a wide variety of organizations. Please contact the park superintendent to discuss your project and obtain a permit.
Phone: (406) 689-3155 x 1024
e-mail us

Doing Business in the Park

Appropriate permits are required in order for individuals, businesses, and non-profit organizations to provide any goods, activities, services, agreements, or other functions for members, clients, or the public that take place at least in part at Big Hole National Battlefield, that use park resources, and that result in compensation, monetary gain, benefit, or profit. Please contact the park superintendent to discuss your venture and obtain a permit.
Phone: (406) 689-3155 x 1024
e-mail us

Last updated: July 22, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 237
Wisdom, MT 59761


406 689-3155

Contact Us