Pets are permitted only in specific areas of the Maryland portion of the National Seashore. Please manage your pets. Pets must be kept on a leash no longer than 6 feet at all times! Please pick up after your pet.The hot sand and sun can be harder on your pet than it is on you. Unattended and unrestrained animals can disturb and harm island wildlife and other park visitors.
Pets are prohibited in the following areas to protect wildlife, habitat and visitors:
• The entire Virginia portion of Assateague Island *
• All backcountry campsites
• Nature trails
• Lifeguard-protected beach
• Portions of Assateague State Park
• North of the State Park to the Ocean City inlet
*Pets are prohibited in the entire Virginia portion of Assateague Island, even in your car. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service manages nearly all of the land area on the Virginia portion of Assateague Island as Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge.