Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is open year-round; however, the islands become much more challenging to access during the shoulder seasons and winter. It is always a good idea to check on current conditions before setting out.
This site is updated regularly to reflect the latest conditions, as is the Ice Line at (715) 779-3398 x3 and Facebook. If needed, contact the park headquarters directly at (715) 779-3398, during normal business hours.
Sea Caves Watch provides real time imagery, wind, and waves at the mainland sea caves. When traveling on Lake Superior, conditions can change rapidly. Be prepared and check the weather and marine forecast regularly.
Updated on September 11, 2020
During this time of increased safety concerns due to COVID-19, please follow park closures (listed below) and updated safety guidance.
- Due to unusual bear behavior, Oak Island is closed to all public access, including docks, all trails and beaches.
- Current status of Meyers Beach Road: OPEN
- Current status of the Mainland Lakeshore Trail: OPEN
- If you are choosing to hike during this pandemic, practice appropriate COVID-19 safety measures, including social distancing of at least 6 feet from other people.
- Current status of Meyers Beach and Little Sand Bay Beach: OPEN
- Road Construction between Bayfield and Little Sand Bay.
- Road construction on Little Sand Bay Road. Monday - Friday 7 am to 7 pm. Traffic will be restricted to a single lane utilizing flagging operations. Old County K Rd (east leg) closed to through traffic. Follow detour to west leg of Old County K Rd.
Information and Closures related to COVID-19
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore encourages everyone to follow CDC guidance to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Together, we can help keep park staff, visitors, and the community safe and healthy and maintain access for everyone.
This property of the U.S. Department of the Interior is under limited operations due to COVID-19. Some facilities may not be available and staffing may be limited. Visitors should adjust their expectations accordingly and should practice social distancing, personal hygiene, and other behaviors to avoid infection in public areas. Visitors should not rely upon site staff to ensure their protection from contagious disease.
Following guidance from the CDC and recommendations from state and local public health authorities in consultation with NPS Public Health Service Officers, the following facilities and services are suspended until further notice:
- Overnight camping (7:00 pm to 7:00 am) in the lakeshore is suspended until further notice. Overnight docking for self-contained vessels and day use of the islands is permitted.
- No new camping reservations will be taken during this time. Camping reservations will reopen after this overnight closure.
- Campfires are only permitted in designated areas:
- Between the hours of 7am and 7pm, beach fires are allowed on the islands, below the vegetation line, so there will not be trampling or damage to shoreline vegetation.
- Note: fires are still prohibited on beachs at Presque Isle Bay, Julian Bay, Raspberry Island, and Meyers Beach.
- Please ensure fires are properly extinguished before departing.
- All historic interiors are closed at Raspberry Light, Michigan Light, Devils Light, Sand Light, and Manitou Fish Camp. The grounds of these spaces remain open to the public.
- Visitor Centers in Bayfield, Little Sand Bay, and Stockton Island are closed to the public, however park rangers will be available by phone, (715) 779-3398, and email, and some brochures will be available:
Bayfield VC - Daily from 8:30am – 4:30pm, with brochures available on the ramp side entrance.
The Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center in Ashland is providing limited visitor services. Please check their Facebook page for hours and more information.
Storm Damage Closures and Warnings
- South Twin:
- Both double privies north of the dock are full and closed.
- York Island:
- Privy is full and closed.
- Devils Island:
- Sand Island:
- All stairs - CLOSED
- West Bay Club - CLOSED
- Partial Closure of the end of East Bay Dock
- Little Sand Bay:
- Hokenson Dock, herring shed, ice house, and beach area of Fish Camp - CLOSED
Loading weather forecast...