General Management Plan
This approved General Management Plan/Wilderness Management Plan (2011) will be the basic document the National Park Service (NPS) intends to follow in managing the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore over the next 15–20 years.
The purpose of the Wilderness Study (2004) was to develop a proposal to the Director of the National Park Service, the Secretary of Interior, the President, and ultimately the United States Congress regarding how much, if any, of Apostle Islands National Lakeshore should be designated as wilderness.
- Visitor Use Study (2004) (801kb pdf)
- Visitor Use Report Summary (2004) (34kb pdf)
- Accessibility Plan (2012) (7.8mb pdf)
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Business Plan (2001) (7.7mb pdf)
- Apostle Islands - Pictured Rocks National Lakeshores Economic Study (2009) (2.6mb pdf) This report, by University of Montana Economist Thomas Michael Power, examines the regional economic context and the impact these protected areas have had on the regional economies since the establishment of these two Lake Superior national lakeshores.
- Integrated Environmental Plan. The park's IEP is a unique umbrella tool that organizes and optimizes environmental stewardship initiatives so greening can be accomplished efficiently and effectively.
Last updated: February 6, 2018