Management

Center right - Clover hill Tavern ca. 1937.  The tavern is the site where parole passes were printed for the Army of Northern Virginia
The large structure (center right) is the Clover Hill Tavern where paroles were printed for 28,231 Confederate soldiers.  This ca. 1937 image shows the tavern, slave quarters (behind), and tavern kitchen (center left).  Buildings built ca. 1819.
Designations
National Historical Park - April 15, 1954
National Historical Monument - August. 13, 1935
U. S. War Department Battlefield Site - June 18, 1930

Enabling Legislation
To commemorate the termination of the War Between the States which was brought about by the surrender of the army under General Robert E. Lee to Lieut. General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House, in the state of Virginia, on April 9, 1865, and for the further purpose of honoring those who engaged in this tremendous conflict.

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Appomattox Court House National Historical Park
P.O. Box 218

Appomattox, VA 24522

Phone:

(434) 352-8987 x226

Contact Us