Frankenstein Paintings Collection

Mainstreet Appomattox Court House circa 1866
In "Main Street" Frankenstein's delicate tones capture this view of Appomattox Court House village as seen from the West.

NPS image

This extraordinary collection of George L. Frankenstein's five paintings of the village of Appomattox Court House depict this historic village and surrounding area as it appeared in the months after the surrender. Professor Frankenstein (1825-1911) spent four years traveling Civil War battlefields capturing scenes in oil on paper.

The paintings, on permanent exhibit at the Appomattox Court House NHP visitor center, not only provide insight into what the area looked like in the late 1860s but are of themselves beautiful works of art.

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Appomattox Court House National Historical Park
P.O. Box 218

Appomattox, VA 24522

Phone:

(434) 352-8987 x226

Contact Us