Welcome to the Andrew Johnson NHS Education Page
To Schedule a Field Trip
Teachers wishing to bring their class to the Andrew Johnson National Historic Site need to call the Visitor Center at 423-638-3551. Advance planning is extremely important as the site does require reservations if you wish for park rangers to facilitate activities. Use this form to request a reservation for a field trip, and reference this field trip planner to learn about helpful suggestions and requirements before you come.
Park Ranger-led programs
The staff of the Andrew Johnson National Historic Site wants to provide your students with an enjoyable educational program. There is no charge for a ranger-led program of the site. The Homestead tour requires a park ranger to be your guide.
Large groups may require that the teacher lead a session in order to keep the group sizes small. Only 15-20 students may be admitted into the Homestead at a time, so large groups will be divided into segments for their visit.
Groups may visit on a self-guided basis (the only exception is the Homestead which requires a guided tour). Sites available for self-guided programs are the Visitor Center, the Early Home, the Homestead grounds, and the National Cemetery.
Advance registration for a self-guided tour is required. Often, park rangers can assist you in planning the timing of your activities. Please call 423-638-3551.
Learn more about the On-Site Experience.
Guidelines for a Pleasant Visit
1. It is imperative that each group arrives at the scheduled time. Early or late arrivals cause confusion, and may result in a delay until other groups have been accommodated.
2. Generally, the stops will alternate between the visitor center/museum area and the Homestead. Allow at least 30 minutes at each area. Have the groups divided before you arrive. Know where each bus will drop off or pick up students and the timing of your activity rotations. Limited bus and chaperone parking is available at the visitor center parking area and in front of the Homestead. When you call for reservations, a staff member will assist you in planning the itinerary.
3. At least one adult chaperone (preferably two or more) should accompany each group of 25-30 students. Our staff size is limited. Teachers are responsible for the conduct of the group.
4. Facilities are limited. Public restrooms, water to drink, and an Eastern National sales center are located only at the Visitor Center.
5. We are a unit of the National Park Service, and regulations will be strictly enforced in order to "preserve and protect" the park for future generations. All plants, animals, and historic features are protected by law. Federal regulations prohibit picnicking and other recreational activities in any area of the park. Food and drink are not allowed in buildings. Chewing gum is discouraged.
6. Traffic, stairs at the Homestead & Early Home, and the creek flowing through the Homestead grounds are all potential safety hazards. Ensure that students are adequately supervised at all times.
Last updated: June 17, 2020