Permits & Reservations

At Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument reservations and other permits are required for several types of activities.


Quarry Tours

Check availability of Ranger-led Quarry Tours during the summer months. Tours are offered at 10 A.M. only.

You can visit the quarry sites by ranger-guided tour only. Tours are offered upon a reservation basis. Call 806-857-6680 for reservations. Weather permitting.

Quarry tours typically take 2 hours and involve a moderate 1.5 mile round trip hike. The trail to the quarries is covered in loose gravel and includes stairs. You will gain approximately 170 feet of elevation as you hike up to the quarry sites on the top of the mesa.

Bring water and wear comfortable, sturdy, closed-toe walking or hiking boots. Wear long sleeved shirts and long pants due to increased insect activity in the area. Other items to bring are a hat, hiking poles, sunscreen, and insect spray.

Please Note: This hiking tour is not recommended to visitors with health conditions including heart problems, breathing problems or artificial knees/hips.

Hiking up to the Flint Quarries
A hike up to the Alibates Flint Quarries involves climbing a set of stairs equivalent to a 17-story building.

NPS Photo


Special Permits:

Group activities of more than 15 visitors such as family reunions, company picnics and group campouts require special permits. Please call park headquarters at 806-857-3151 for information and guidelines.

1. Special Use Permits are required for functions such as fishing tournaments, weddings, special events, filming, etc.

Commercial Use Authorization

What is a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA)?

A CUA allows an individual, group, company or other for-profit entity to provide commercial visitor services within a National Park area. Services provided to NPS employees are not covered by CUAs (e.g., Schwan's grocery delivery). Commercial Use Authorizations (CUAs) are required for all commercial visitor services provided by a company or organization not based in the park.

What does the law and regulations say about CUAs?

PL 105-391, Section 418 and 36 CFR 5.3 require NPS issue and charge a reasonable fee for CUAs. The law requires that NPS ensure CUAs:

  • Are accomplished in a manner consistent to the highest practicable degree with the preservation and conservation of park resources and values;
  • Are consistent with the purpose for which the Park was established;
  • Comply with all applicable management plans, park policies and regulations;
  • Are subjects to conditions promoting the safety of visitors;
  • Limit the liability of the United States Government;
  • Are subject to a reasonable fee that at a minimum recovers administrative and management costs of the CUA.

Who needs a CUA?

A CUA is required if an entity provides a good, activity, service, or other function to visitors in a NPS managed area, uses park resources and results in compensation, monetary gain, benefit or profit.

2. Commercial Use Authorization

Last updated: April 17, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 1460
Fritch, TX 79036


806 857-6680

Contact Us