|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Robert Maguire, 806-857-3151
Fritch, TX –Superintendent Robert Maguire is pleased to announce the release of the Record of Decision for the General Management Plan for Lake Meredith National Recreation Area and Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument. The plan is a culmination of a great deal of time, energy, and input from members of the public, other agencies, and the National Park Service (NPS). The general management plan provides comprehensive guidance for perpetuating natural systems, preserving cultural resources, and providing opportunities for high-quality visitor experiences in the park units for the next 15 to 20 years.
The park has started to implement some of the recommendations that are outlined in the plan. Some of the projects and events visitors will see completed this year are:
- New exhibits at the Alibates Visitor Center.
- New trail construction at Fritch Fortress and South Turkey Creek, in addition to the seven miles of trail already completed.
- New restrooms with showers at Fritch Fortress and Sanford-Yake campgrounds.
- National Junior Ranger Day will be April 25, 2015, at the Alibates Visitor Center.
- Hike of the Month will start in May.
- Kayak tours at Spring Canyon will start in June.
- Wildflower Weekend will be offered in early June.
- Alibates Flint Quarries NM 50th anniversary will be in August.
- Flint Fest will be in early October.
- Star Party at the Alibates Visitor Center will be offered in the spring and fall.
The Record of Decision and the Abbreviated Final General Management Plan / Environmental Impact Statement are now available on the National Park Service website at https://www.nps.gov/alfl/learn/management/index.htm. A limited number of hard copies and compact discs of the Draft General Management Plan / Environmental Impact Statement and the Abbreviated Final General Management Plan / Environmental Impact Statement are available from the park upon request. Everyone's input was instrumental in the planning process. The National Park Service values the public's interest in Lake Meredith National Recreation Area and Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument, and we look forward to implementing this plan with your support and collaboration. For further information, contact park headquarters at 806-857-3151.