54th Troop Carrier Squadron
The 54th Troop Carrier Squadron was activated 1 June, 1942 and remained in service until 5 March, 1949. It operated out of Elmendorf Field, Alaska from 15 November, 1942-45 during WWII. The squadron arrived at Elmendorf Field with C-47's on 19 November 1942. Of note, one C-47 in the squadron was named the "Gluck" and was equipped with floats for water landings. Towards the end of the war, the squadron converted to the Douglas C-54 to replace the C-47's. The squadron's history is posted with permission from the Bangor Public Library. View the Bangor Library's other WWII history.