National Park Rangers enforce a wide spectrum of federal laws and regulations and a variety of state statues. Please familiarize yourself with park rules.
- Pets are not allowed on park trails or in the backcountry. This rule is in place to protect park wildlife and your pet.
- Pets must be leashed and attended at all times. Pets are allowed in developed areas (around visitor centers, boat ramps, picnic areas, campsites and houseboat sites) on the four main lakes, and along park entrance roads. Pets are NOT allowed on park trails.
- Do not destroy or collect natural or cultural resources in the park. For example, do not collect, damage, or destroy any plants, animals, rocks, artifacts, historic objects, flowers, or pine cones. You may harvest up to one gallon of berries for personal consumption.
- Do not harass or feed wildlife! Observe wildlife quietly from a distance. Animals need adequate space to feed, nest, and raise young. Do not disturb wildlife, especially breeding or nesting birds, or adult animals with young.
- Store food properly. Voyageurs is bear country. Make sure you store all smelly items such as toothpaste, sunscreen, food, pet food and deodorant in bear proof food storage lockers or hang from a bear pole or tree.
- DO NOT drink and drive. Operating an automobile, boat or snowmobile while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is prohibited.
- Respect Public Use Closures. Check at visitor centers and boat ramp bulletin boards for areas that have been closed to protect park visitors, park wildlife, and other sensitive resources. Closed areas are posted with signs.
- Protect Water Quality. Use comfort stations where facilities are available. Otherwise dispose of human waste by digging a hole at least six inches deep, and at least 100 feet away from shoreline.
- Keep Voyageurs National Park beautiful. Do not litter. Do not leave trash in the park. If you pack something in, please pack it out. Do not burn garbage at campsites.
- Keep the Shade! Cutting live or dead standing trees is prohibited. Collect only dead AND downed wood.
- Hunting is not allowed in Voyageurs National Park.
- Chainsaws are prohibited except when being used to cut ice fishing holes.
- Voyageurs National Park is not one of the park service areas that authorize the use of personal watercraft. Personal watercraft refers to a vessel, usually less than 16 feet in length, which uses an inboard, internal combustion engine powering a water jet pump as its primary source of propulsion. The vessel is intended to be operated by a person or persons sitting, standing or kneeling on the vessel, rather than within the confines of the hull.
- Private floatplanes are prohibited on all waters in the park except the four major lakes: Rainy, Sand Point, Kabetogama and Namakan Lakes. This is to help prevent the spread of the spiny water flea, an aquatic exotic invasive species.
- A Minnesota fishing license is required to fish in the park. If you plan to fish in the park get a copy of the Minnesota fishing regulations at area businesses or visitor centers. Know the slot limit (size limit) for the lakes where you will be fishing. Park rangers enforce Minnesota State fishing regulations.
- Know Canadian and U.S. fishing and customs regulations before you cross the border. For Canadian customs call (807) 274-3655 and for United States customs call (218) 283-0769.
- Swimming, diving, and bathing are prohibited at docks in developed areas (visitor centers & Kettle Falls). Diving from other park docks is discouraged.
- Water skiing is prohibited in navigation channels.
- Be Fire Safe! Extinguish all campfires when unattended. Make sure the fire is out and the ashes are cold before leaving.
- Quiet Time - Parkwide 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
- Firewood restrictions- The following are prohibited: Possessing, storing, or transporting firewood taken from a location outside of Voyageurs National Park unless it was obtained from a MN DNR approved firewood dealer. Kiln dried, unpainted, unstained dimensional lumber (such as 2x4 or 4x6 scraps from a building project) free of metal or other foreign substances is approved for use. Pallet wood is NOT approved firewood.
- Fishing on interior lakes is limited only to artificial bait and privately owned watercraft, including inflatable boats and tubes, is prohibited on interior lakes. This regulation does not include Rainy, Kabetogama, Namakan, or Sand Point Lakes.
For specific questions about park regulations, email a park ranger.
For more information, read Voyageurs National Park's 2012 Compendium (PDF).