Cultural Resource Preservation
The park, as established in 1899, encompassed the entire area of the siege and defense lines around the city and included the headquarters site of Major General Ulysses S. Grant, Union commander at Vicksburg. In 1964, the park boundary was adjusted as the lower one-third of the park was transferred to the City of Vicksburg.
In 1990, Senate bill S.2437 authorized the National Park Service to accept a donation of the remaining vestige of Grant's Canal for incorporation into the park, and broadened the interpretive mandate to include the operations from April 1862 to July 4, 1863, and the history of Vicksburg under Union occupation during the Civil War and period of Reconstruction.
Vicksburg National Military Park exists as a lasting memorial to the soldiers and civilians that suffered through the widespread tragedy and conflict of the Civil War. It is a vivid legacy of America's past, a place where students can learn, and individuals can reflect on the dramatic events that shaped a young and developing nation.
Did You Know?
The state of Missouri contributed 27 Union units and 15 Confederate units to the Vicksburg campaign.