Rhode Island Memorial
7th Rhode Island Infantry
Regiment listed on the Rhode Island State Memorial. This unit was attached to Colonel Simon G. Griffin's 1st Brigade of Brigadier General Robert B. Potter's 2nd Division, Major General John G. Parke's IX Army Corps [Detachment]. Positioned on Major General William T. Sherman's exterior line, the unit was commanded by Colonel Zenas R. Bliss [Refer to page 742, Volume 6 of the WPA Monumentation Survey Books.] Two divisions of the IX Corps were ordered from the Department of the Ohio on 3 June 1863. Arriving at Snyder's Bluff on transports from Cairo, IL, they took position from Skillikalia Bayou to Templeton's and fortified that line. On 29 June 1863 by order of Major General William T. Sherman, the IX Corps moved to the east and took position from Haynes' Bluff to the railroad crossing of the Big Black River, resting its left at Neely's and its right at Bryant's. The Corps fortified this position and remained at that location until the surrender of Vicksburg.