In 1917, with an appropriation of $150,000, the U.S. Congress sponsored a four-day veterans' reunion at Vicksburg National Military Park. Approximately 8000 former soldiers attended the event. At its conclusion about $35,000 of the appropriation remained unspent, and the funds were used to commemorate the historic gathering. A Memorial Arch, sculpted by Charles Lawhon using Stone Mountain (GA) granite, was dedicated in 1920. It stood astride Clay Street until 1967 when, having been declared a traffic hazard, it was moved to its present site within the park.