• View from Battery DeGolyer

    Vicksburg

    National Military Park Mississippi

Guibor's Battery Missouri Artillery

Guibor's Battery Missouri Artillery Regimental Monument

Guibor's Battery Missouri Artillery Regimental Monument

NPS Photo

Monument located on the north side of Confederate Avenue, approximately 0.5 miles east of the Tennessee Memorial. Also an iron tablet located on the north side of Confederate Avenue, approximately 0.5 miles east of the Tennessee Memorial, and a multiple iron tablet located outside of Vicksburg National Military Park, on former park property in the City of Vicksburg, at the southeast corner of Mission 66 and Indiana Avenue.
 
Guibor's Battery Missouri Artillery Tablet

Guibor's Battery Missouri Artillery Tablet

NPS Photo

This unit was attached to Col. Francis M. Cockrell's 1st Brigade, of Brig. Gen. John S. Bowen's Division, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Army of Vicksburg, and commanded by Capt. Henry Guibor (wounded 29 April 1863), Lt. William Corkery, and Lt. Cornelius Hefferman. [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume II, pages 316, 407, 645, and 688; and Volume III, pages 780, 784-5, 871, and 967.]

Did You Know?

Old Douglas Headstone, Cedar Hill Cemetery

The 43d Mississippi Infantry's mascot, Douglas the Camel, remained with the regiment until Vicksburg where he was killed by Union sharpshooters. Douglas is honored with his own grave marker in Vicksburg's Cedar Hill Cemetery.