• View from Battery DeGolyer

    Vicksburg

    National Military Park Mississippi

Garland's Mississippi Cavalry Battalion

No Marker Placed

No Marker Placed

This unit was attached to Lt. Col. Christopher C. Wilbourn's Command, of Lt. Col. George Gnatt's Cavalry Command, Maj. Gen. Franklin Gardner's 3d Military District at Port Hudson, LA, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana, and commanded by Maj. William H. Garland. This organization was not bottled up in Port Hudson, and continued to operate militarily outside of the fortification works. In September 1863, the battalion was redesignated as the 14th Confederate Cavalry Battalion. [Refer to Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Volume XXIV, Part 1 - Reports, page 707; and to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume II, pages 230 and 251.]

Did You Know?

Thomas O. Selfridge

Thomas O. Selfridge, captain of the USS Cairo, commanded three boats which sank during the war. Each began with the letter "C"-Cumberland, Cairo, and Conestoga. The coincidence was noted after the Conestoga sank, and Selfridge was assigned to the USS Osage, which survived to the end of the war.