No Marker Placed
During the raids, this unit was attached to Brig. Gen. John Gregg's Brigade, of Maj. Gen. Franklin Gardner's 3d Military District at Port Hudson, LA, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. In the Siege of Vicksburg, the battery was attached to Brig. Gen. George B. Cosby's 1st Brigade, of Brig. Gen. William H. (Red) Jackson's Cavalry Division, Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's Army of Relief, Department of the West, and commanded by Capt. James A. Hoskins. During the Battle of Jackson, MS (14 May 1863), the battery was attached to Brig. Gen. States Rights Gist's Brigade (then under the command of Col. Peyton H. Colquitt), of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's Departments of Tennessee and Mississippi. [Refer to Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies
, Volume XXIV, Part 1 - Reports, page 706 and to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign
, Volume II, page 557; and Volume III, pages 978 and 1152.]
Gen. Jackson's division was ordered from the Department of Tennessee about 26 May 1863, and headquartered near Canton, MS, on 4 June 1863, and at Vernon, MS, on 13, 18, 21, and 23 June 1863.