78th Ohio Infantry
Monument is located on Jackson Road, just south of Logan's Statue. Also a marker designating the assault of 22 May 1863, located on Old Jackson Road west of the Illinois Memorial. This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. Mortimer D. Leggett's 2d Brigade (Col. Manning F. Force commanding after 3 June 1863), of Maj. Gen. John A. Logan's 3d Division, Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson's XVII Army Corps. The regiment was later attached to Col. Manning F. Force's Brigade, of Brig. Gen'l John McArthur's Provisional Division, Maj. Cadwallader C. Washburn's XVI Army Corps (Detachment), on Maj. Gen'l William T. Sherman's exterior line, and commanded by Lt. Col. Greenberry F. Wiles. [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume III, page 1148.]
Did You Know?
Thomas O. Selfridge, captain of the USS Cairo, commanded three boats which sank during the war. Each began with the letter "C"-Cumberland, Cairo, and Conestoga. The coincidence was noted after the Conestoga sank, and Selfridge was assigned to the USS Osage, which survived to the end of the war.