56th Ohio Infantry
Monument located on Union Avenue, approximately 0.1 mile past Park Tour Stop #15. Also an iron marker designating the secondary approach trench located on the south ridge branch of the mowed bay on the east side of Confederate Avenue, in front of Brig. Gen. Tracy's bust. This unit was attached to Col. James R. Slack's 2d Brigade, of Brig. Gen. Alvin P. Hovey's 12th Division, Maj. Gen'ls John A. McClernand's (relieved of command 19 June 1863) and Edward O.C. Ord's XIII Army Corps, and commanded by Col. William H. Raynor.