• View from Battery DeGolyer

    Vicksburg

    National Military Park Mississippi

47th Georgia Infantry

47th Georgia Infantry Regimental Monument

47th Georgia Infantry Regimental Monument

NPS Photo

Multiple monument located outside of Vicksburg National Military Park, on former park property in the City of Vicksburg, at the southeast corner of Confederate Avenue and Hall’s Ferry Road. This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. Marcellus A. Stovall’s Brigade, of Maj. Gen’l John C. Breckinridge’s Division, Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s Army of Relief, Department of the West, and commanded by Maj. J. S. Cone and Col. G. W. M. Williams. The regiment arrived in Jackson, MS, on 1 June 1863 from the Department of Tennessee. On 4 July 1863, the unit was headquartered near Bolton, MS. [Refer to Gen. M.A. Stovall of Georgia and to Edwin Bearss’ The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume III, page 1149.]

Did You Know?

USS Cairo ca. 1862

The USS Cairo was only in service for 11 months before making history as the first U.S. marine vessel to be sunk by an electronically detonated mine.