27th Texas Cavalry
Listed as 1st Legion on the multiple monument located on the north side of Confederate Avenue at the Railroad Redoubt (Park Tour Stop 13). This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. John W. Whitfield's 2d Brigade, of Brig. Gen. William H. (Red) Jackson's Cavalry Division, Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's Army of Relief, Department of the West, and commanded by Lt. Col. J.H. Brocks. [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume III, page 1152.]
Gen. Jackson's division was ordered from the Department of Tennessee about 26 May 1863, and headquartered near Canton, MS, on 4 June 1863, and at Vernon, MS, on 13, 18, 21, and 23 June 1863.