• View from Battery DeGolyer

    Vicksburg

    National Military Park Mississippi

25th Georgia Infantry

25th Georgia Infantry Regimental Monument

25th Georgia Infantry Regimental Monument

NPS Photo

Multiple monument located outside of Vicksburg National Military Park, on former park property in the City of Vicksburg, at the southeast corner of Confederate Avenue and Hall’s Ferry Road. This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. William H.T. Walker’s (promoted Maj. Gen., 27 June 1863) Brigade, of Brig. Gen’l John Gregg’s Defense Force for the Battle of Jackson, MS (14 May 1863), and commanded by Lt. Col. A. J. Williams. Later the battalion was assigned to Col. Claudius C. Wilson’s Brigade, of Maj. Gen. William H.T. Walker’s Division, Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s Army of Relief, Department of the West. [Refer to Edwin Bearss’ The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume III, page 1152.]

Did You Know?

Old Douglas Headstone, Cedar Hill Cemetery

The 43d Mississippi Infantry's mascot, Douglas the Camel, remained with the regiment until Vicksburg where he was killed by Union sharpshooters. Douglas is honored with his own grave marker in Vicksburg's Cedar Hill Cemetery.