• View from Battery DeGolyer

    Vicksburg

    National Military Park Mississippi

22d Louisiana Infantry, Companies A, B [Detachment]

22d Louisiana Infantry, Companies A, B [Detachment] Regimental Monument

22d Louisiana Infantry, Companies A, B [Detachment] Regimental Monument

NPS Photo

Multiple monument and iron tablet located at Louisiana Circle on South Washington Street. This unit was attached to the Marine Hospital Battery, of Col. Edward Higgins' River Defense Batteries, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Army of Vicksburg, and commanded by Capt. Samuel Jones. Company A was commanded by Capt. Washington Marks, and Company B was commanded by Capt. J. P. Marlot. The Marine Hospital Battery was west of the Marine Hospital about 40 ft above the river, and mounted three 42-pdr smoothbore guns, two 32-pdr smoothbore guns, and two 32-pdr rifled guns. From 18 May 1863, until the end of the siege, 4 July 1863, Company B manned two 6-pdr guns in Brig. Gen. Seth M. Barton's sector of the Vicksburg Perimeter Defensive Lines. [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume II, page 63, and Volume III, pages 783, 784, and 870.]
 
22d Louisiana Infantry, Companies A, B [Detachment] Markers
22d Louisiana Infantry, Companies A, B [Detachment] Markers
NPS Photos

Did You Know?

Graves in Vicksburg National Cemetery

Vicksburg National Cemetery is the largest internment of Civil War dead in the nation. It is the burial place for nearly 17,000 Union soldiers.