20th Ohio Infantry
Monument is located on Jackson Road at Union Avenue, just west of Logan's Statue. Also a marker designating the assault of 22 May 1863, located on Old Jackson Road west of the Illinois Memorial below Battery Hickenlooper. This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. Mortimer D. Leggett's 2d Brigade (Col. Manning F. Force commanding after 3 June 1863), of Maj. Gen. John A. Logan's 3d Division, Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson's XVII Army Corps, and commanded by Col. Manning F. Force.
The regiment was later attached to Col. Manning F. Force's Brigade of Brig. Gen'l John McArthur's Provisional Division, Maj. Cadwallader C. Washburn's XVI Army Corps (Detachment) on Maj. Gen'l William T. Sherman's Exterior Line, and commanded by Capt. Francis M. Shacklee. [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume III, page 1148.]
Did You Know?
President Abraham Lincoln, in speaking of Vicksburg's importance, is reputed to have stated early during the Civil War, "See what a lot of land these fellows hold, of which Vicksburg is the key, the war can never be brought to a close until that key is in our pocket."