1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery, Company G
This unit was attached to the South Fort, and commanded by Capt. William C. Capers. A detachment of Company G, under personal command of Capt. Capers, served one 10-inch Columbiad gun in the South Fort from 18 May 1863, until the end of the siege, 4 July 1863. Another detachment, under command of Lt. C.A. Conrad, served one 10-inch mortar in the South Fort from 18 May 1863, until 12 June 1863, when it was ordered to Brig. Gen. John C. Moore's sector of the Vicksburg Perimeter Defensive Lines.
Two iron tablets are located at South Fort on South Washington Street.