• View from Battery DeGolyer

    Vicksburg

    National Military Park Mississippi

15th Battery Ohio Light Artillery

15th Ohio Battery Light Artillery Tablet

15th Ohio Battery Light Artillery Tablet

NPS Photo

Monument and iron tablet located at Illinois Circle on Hall's Ferry Road, north of Interstate 20, on former park property. This unit was attached to Brig. Gen. Jacob G. Lauman's 4th Division, Maj. Gen. Cadwallader C. Washburn's XVI Army (Detachment) Corps, assigned to XIII Army Corps, and commanded by Capt. Edward Spear, Jr.

From 15 April-8 May, 1863, the battery was attached to Col. George E. Bryant's Task Force Bryant of Brig. Gen. Grenville M. Dodge's 2d Division, Maj. Gen. Stephen A. Hurlbut's XVI Army Corps, of Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's Department of the Tennessee. [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume II, page 247.]
 
15th Ohio Battery Light Artillery Regimental Monument
15th Ohio Battery Light Artillery Regimental Monument
NPS Photo

Did You Know?

USS Cairo ca. 1862

The USS Cairo was only in service for 11 months before making history as the first U.S. marine vessel to be sunk by an electronically detonated mine.