• View from Battery DeGolyer

    Vicksburg

    National Military Park Mississippi

14th Mississippi Battalion Light Artillery, Company B

14th Mississippi Battalion Light Artillery, Company B Regimental Monument

14th Mississippi Battalion Light Artillery, Company B Regimental Monument

NPS Photo

This unit was attached to Maj. Gen. Martin Luther Smith's Division, Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton's Army of Vicksburg, and commanded by Maj. M.S. Ward. [Refer to Edwin Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Volume III, pages 781, 785, 870, and 968.]

Company B

Monument located on the north side of Confederate Avenue approximately 0.1 mile east of Fort Hill (Park Tour Stop 9).
 
14th Mississippi Battalion Light Artillery, Company B Tablet

14th Mississippi Battalion Light Artillery, Company B Tablet

NPS Photo

Also, an iron tablet located on Fort Hill (Park Tour Stop 9), an iron tablet on the north side of Confederate Avenue, approximately 0.1 mile east of Fort Hill, and a third iron tablet on the north side of Confederate Avenue, approximately 0.1 mile east of the Tennessee Memorial. This unit manned guns on Brig. Gen. John C. Vaughn's sector of the Vicksburg Perimeter Defensive Lines.
 
14th Mississippi Battalion Light Artillery, Company B Tablets
14th Mississippi Battalion Light Artillery, Company B Tablets
NPS Photos

Did You Know?

USS Cairo ca. 1862

The USS Cairo was only in service for 11 months before making history as the first U.S. marine vessel to be sunk by an electronically detonated mine.