Saint Croix National Scenic Riverway
Grand Portage, MN
Travel into the past to discover the present. Explore the history of Ojibwe people and the North West Company of the North American fur trade. Follow pathways into a distant time. Take in the sights and smells of a bustling depot reconstructed over its original footprint. Listen for the echo of the drum over Grand Portage Bay.
National River & Recreation Area
Twin Cities Metropolitan Area, MN
In the middle of a bustling urban setting, this 72 mile river park offers quiet stretches for fishing, boating and canoeing. Other spots are excellent for birdwatching, bicycling and hiking. And there are plenty of visitor centers that highlight the history and science of the Mississippi River. If you are interested in the Mississippi River, this is a great place to start your exploration.
National Scenic Trail
Seven States-New York to North Dakota , MI,MN,ND,NY,OH,PA,WI
From New York to North Dakota, you're never far from a great outdoor adventure. When completed the trail will be the longest continuous hiking trail in the United States. The trail links scenic, natural, historic, and cultural areas across seven states allowing visitors to experience a variety of northern landscapes. Come and experience your America, at a walking pace.
For countless generations, American Indians have quarried the red pipestone found at this site. These grounds are sacred to many people because the pipestone quarried here is carved into pipes used for prayer. Many believe that the pipe's smoke carries one's prayer to the Great Spirit. The traditions of quarrying and pipemaking continue here today.
National Scenic Riverway
Saint Croix Falls, WI,MN
The St. Croix and Namekagon Rivers offer 255 miles of clean water gliding or rushing past a lush green landscape, with glimpses of human presence. Choose to canoe and camp amid the Northwoods, or boat and fish surrounded by wooded bluffs and historic towns. This river corridor provides bountiful scenic views and a haven for wildlife near a major metropolitan area. Plan a visit!
International Falls, Kabetogama, Ash River, and Crane Lake, MN
Voyageurs National Park lies within the heart of the North American Continent. Here you can see and touch rocks half as old as the world, experience the life of a voyageur, immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of a boreal forest, view the dark skies, or ply the interconnected water routes. Leave your car behind and set out on the water highways of the North Woods.
By The Numbers
- 5 national parks
- 811,616 visitors to national parks (in 2014)
- $38,100,000 economic benefit from national park tourism (in 2013) »
- 1,665 National Register of Historic Places listings »
- $846,584,065 of rehabilitation projects stimulated by tax incentives (since 1995) »
- 509,051 hours donated by volunteers »
- 8 National Natural Landmarks »
- 25 National Historic Landmarks »
- $73,478,272 in Land & Water Conservation Fund grants (since 1965) »
- 508 acres transferred by Federal Lands to Parks for local parks and recreation (since 1948) »
- $32,174,502 in historic preservation grants (since 1969) »
- 70 community conservation and recreation projects (since 1987) »
- 564 places recorded by heritage documentation programs »
- 541,705 objects in national park museum collections »
- 9 threatened and endangered species in national parks (in 2013) »
- 519 archeological sites in national parks »
- 44 Certified Local Governments »
- 2 Teaching with Historic Places lesson plans »
- 3 Discover Our Shared Heritage travel itineraries »
- Download the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/14.