October 18, 7:00am - 4:00pm: Waterside Drive, NW Closed
On Saturday, October 18, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Waterside Drive will be closed from Massachusetts Avenue to Rock Creek Parkway in both directions as well as the alleyway at Waterside Drive and Massachusetts Avenue NW for tree work.
October 22, 9:30am to 2:30 pm: Intermitten Beach Drive Closures
On Wednesday, October 22 from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., there will be intermittent closures on Beach Drive from the Rock Creek Parkway to the Maryland line for line striping.
Lane Closure: Rock Creek & Potomac Parkway Southbound in the area of the K Street ramps
Sept 29 - Nov 30, weekdays, 9:45am - 2:45pm and 9pm - 5am, right southbound (curb) lane closure in the area of the K Street exit ramp to accommdate work on the Whitehurst Freeway bridge over the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway. More »
Evening Lane and Road Closures, Beach Drive
DC Water crews will be performing sewer inspections on Beach Drive NW from 9:00 pm to 5:30 am through November 28, 2014. This work will require lane and road closures. More »
The Old Stone House
In the midst of Washington, D.C., a city of grand memorials to national leaders and significant events, stands an unassuming building commemorating the daily lives of ordinary Americans who made this city, and this nation, unique. The Old Stone House, one of the oldest known structures remaining in the nation's capital, is a simple 18th century dwelling built and inhabited by common people.
Peirce Mill was built in the 1820's, and operated commercially until 1897. The United States Government acquired the mill as part of Rock Creek Park in 1892. Currently the mill is not operating. It is being preserved and ultimately will be made operable again when sufficient funding for repairs is made available. Peirce Mill is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Meridian Hill Park
Meridian Hill Park is located in northwest Washington, D.C. and is bordered by 16th, Euclid, 15th, and W Streets.
Construction of the park was begun in 1914, but it was not until 1936 that Meridian Hill reached the full status of a formal park. In 1933 the grounds were transferred to the National Park Service.
Meridian Hill Park was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1994, as "an outstanding accomplishment of early 20th-century Neoclassicist park design in the United States"
Dumbarton Oaks Park
Dumbarton Oaks Park is an exceptionally significant historic landscape, where the naturalistic gardens and built features offer a very special experience to those who visit. The park is a striking example of one of the most important designs by landscape architect Beatrix Farrand. Mrs. Farrand is considered the "finest woman landscape architect of her generation." The owners of the Dumbarton Oaks estate, Mildred and Robert Woods Bliss, wanted Mrs. Farrand to create for them an illusion of country life within the city. And, working closely with Mildred Bliss, Mrs. Farrand made the vision a reality.
Montrose Park occupies land that belonged to rope-making magnate Robert Parrott during the early 19th century. Parrott generously allowed Georgetown residents to use his tract of land for picnics and meetings. The area became known as Parrott's Woods and by the early 20th century it had fallen into disrepair. Sarah Louisa Rittenhouse spearheaded a group of women who petitioned Congress to buy the acreage and establish Montrose Park "for the recreation and pleasure of the people."
Georgetown Waterfront Park
The Georgetown Waterfront Park provides a green space for visitor recreation and contemplation. Cyclists, skaters, and pedestrians have their own car-free pathways with views of individual boaters, kayakers and competitive crews as well as of Roosevelt Island and the magnificent Key Bridge. The park curves along 10 acres of the Potomac extending from the Washington Harbor complex to Key Bridge, creating the vital last link in 225 miles of parkland from Mt. Vernon, Virginia, to Cumberland, Maryland.
Did You Know?
Rock Creek Park has the only planetarium in the National Park System. It was built in 1960 and is located in the Rock Creek Park Nature Center at 5200 Glover Rd., NW, Washington, DC,.