Anniversary and Holiday Open House at Petrified Forest—December 2010
Painted Desert Inn Snow
News Release Date:
November 24, 2010
Contact: Hallie Larsen
, 928-524-6228 x274
Petrified Forest—On December 8, 2010, celebrate Petrified Forest National Park's 104th Anniversary! Activities at Petrified Forest include:
- Cultural Demonstrators will be at the Painted Desert National Landmark between 9 am and 5 pm, sharing their skills and knowledge as well as a chance to purchase unique hand-made gifts for the holidays. Artists will include the Goodluck family (Navajo Silversmiths), Richard Gorman (Hopi Katcina Carver), Alice Hawthorne (Navajo Weaver and Jewelry Artist), and Otto Lucio (Zuni Silversmith).
- Anniversary and Holiday Open House at the Painted Desert National Historic Landmark from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm—enjoy hot drinks, cookies and treats, and holiday cheer.
- Painted Desert Inn Tour: 12 pm—Meet the ranger at the Painted Desert Inn National Historic Landmark. Explore this intriguing historic building with a ranger and discover its fascinating past.
- Triassic Park Program: 10 am, 1 pm, and 4 pm—How did living trees turn to stone? Discover Triassic treasures with a ranger, which may include a talk in the sunroom and/or an easy walk (with a few short stairs) along the Giant Logs Trail. Meet in the Rainbow Forest Museum sunroom.
- Puerco Pueblo Tour: 10 am and 3 pm—Take a journey into the past and discover the ancestral Puebloan people of Petrified Forest. Meet the ranger at the Puerco Pueblo trailhead.
For more information call (928) 524-6228, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time; or write to the Superintendent, Petrified Forest National Park, P.O. Box 2217, Petrified Forest, AZ 86028; or e-mail the park Superintendent.