Field Trip Safety Considerations
Weather at Olympic National Park constantly changes and trip safety is paramount. Be prepared for diverse and hazardous conditions and inclement weather at any time of year.
- First Aid Trained Personnel - Dependent upon you school policy, we recommend that at least one member of your party is certified in First Aid and CPR.
- First Aid Kit - A well-stocked first aid kit is a necessity.
- Chaperones - We recommend one adult chaperone per 8 to 12 students.
- Weather - Please check the latest forecast prior to your field trip.
- Slips, Trips, and Falls - Be prepared for wet, slippery and obstacle laden trails. Proper foot wear and sound trail etiquette will mitigate injuries and accidents due to slips, trips and falls.
- Inclement Weather Plan - Have a back up plan prepared and ready if conditions change or if facilities are closed due to adverse weather conditions.
- Hurricane Ridge - If planning a trip to Hurricane Ridge in winter please visit the following page.
- Coastal Trips - If planning a trip to the coast, please review current tide charts as well as additional hazards specific to the coast.