[graphic] Historic Places in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
 [graphic] Link to Puerto Rico  Virgin Islands Home  [graphic]  Link to List of Sites  [graphic]  Link to Maps  [graphic] Link to  Itineraries  [graphic]  Link to NR Home

[graphic] Previous Site

[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Next Site

[photo] Casa Cautiño
Photo courtesy of the Puerto Rico Office of Historic Preservation
Casa Cautiño's owner, Genaro Cautiño Vázquez, was a wealthy Guayama landowner as well as a colonel of the Volunteer Battalion of the Spanish Army. During the Spanish-Americn War, Casa Cautiño served as the headquarters for the American forces, and it was occupied by U.S. Brig. Gen. Frederick Dent Grant. After the war, Genaro Cautiño returned to the one-story U-shaped house with an interior patio at its center, which local architect Manual Texidor built in 1887 after having graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Paris. An important cultural resource located within the Puerto Rican government-recognized Guayama Historic Zone, Casa Cautiño is a museum dedicated to the town of Guayama and the Cautiño family.

Casa Cautiño, administered by the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture, is located at the junction of Vicente Palès and Palmer sts., where it overlooks the plaza in Guayama, Puerto Rico. It is open Tuesday-Saturday 9:00am to 4:30pm, and on Sunday from 10:00am to 4:00pm. Call 787-864-9083 or visit the musem's website for more information.



Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions



[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to nps.gov