Father Hennepin Bluffs Park
Minneapolis Park and Recreation
In July of that same year, however, Hennepin traveling south on the Mississippi River came upon the falls known to the Dakota as “Owahmenah” (falling water). He named the falls after his patron saint Anthony of Padua, or St. Anthony. The park is the traditional location of an ancient portage route around the St. Anthony Falls, so Hennepin may have first observed the waterfall from this park that now bears his name.
The park consists of 5.5 acres and sits on a wooded bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. It is adjacent to Pillsbury Park and connected to the many parks on both sides of the river through an extensive trail system.
Activities: Picnicking, walking and biking paths, scenic views to St. Anthony Falls and the Mississippi River.
Hours: Dawn until dusk, unless otherwise posted.
Contact Information: Call the Minneapolis Parks and Recreation at 612-230-6400.
Did You Know?
Over 600 men worked around the clock using hand tools, horses and coal powered shovels to build the original Coon Rapids Dam in 1913. The dam was rebuilt between 1995 and 1997.