Protect Yourself, Your Pet, and Park Resources
Pets make wonderful companions. However, they are not always compatible with the dangers you can encounter in wild areas, or with the resource protection policies of national parks.
If you have already left home with your pet and wish to have fewer restrictions on your visit, several boarding facilities are available in Klamath Falls.
Dangers To You and Your Pet
• The rocky terrain, thorny plants, snakes, and high temperatures at Lava Beds can harm your pet.
• Predators, including mountain lions, are curious about dogs and may approach your party when they otherwise may have passed you by.
Impacts on Park Resources
• Dogs are predators that may chase, frighten, and transmit diseases to wild animals.
• Wildlife can also transmit diseases, including bubonic plague, to pets and then to humans.
• The territorial scent dogs leave behind disrupts the behavior of native animals.
If you do decide to bring your dog, please observe the following: