The Bailly Homestead
Bailly acquired formal title to the Homestead and the surrounding tracts of land, totaling over 2,000 acres, in the 1830's when the Calumet Region was officially opened to Euro-American settlement. At his death title passed to his family. The Homestead proper was left to his wife and segments of the acreage to each of his children.
In 1843, after the death of Bailly's daughter Esther, management of the Homestead was assumed by Francis Howe, the husband of daughter Rose Bailly. Under Howe's management the Homestead was again influential in the development of the area, as Howe sold timber from the land to be used in the construction of the nearby railroad. Upon Howe's death in 1850 Joel Wicker, husband to another Bailly daughter, Hortense, assumed management of the Homestead. It was under Wicker's management that the area surrounding the Homestead was settled. In an effort to continue providing timber to the expanding railroad Wicker recruited Swedish immigrants, then living in Chicago, to move to the area and operate the sawmill. Not only did the Swedes cut timber and operate the sawmill, they purchased land from the Bailly-Howe family and settled farms, bringing Swedish culture to northwest Indiana. Several log cabins, possibly dating to the 1860's and probably of Swedish origin, are located on nearby farms that were once part of the Bailly Homestead.
The Homestead brings together an unusual combination of vernacular architecture with the imposing main house, featuring late 19th century architectural detail, the rustic log and brick structures, and the unusual family cemetery.
(Paraphrased excerpts from the National Register Nomination, 1972, and the Bailly Homestead Historic Structures Report, Denver Service Center, National Park Service, November 1972.)
Did You Know?
On November 29, 2006, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, dedicated the new Dorothy Buell Memorial Visitor Center. The facility is be shared with the Porter County Visitor Convention, Recreation, and Visitor Commission. More...