Interior of the Hubbell family home.
NPS photo by E.Chamberlin.
Things To Do:
- Join a ranger guided walk for an in-depth interpretation of the Hubbell homestead, business and ranch. Use this link to read more about this tour.
- Explore the oldest continuously operating trading post in the American Southwest. Shop for authentic Navajo rugs, jewelry, and baskets.
- Enter the bullpen of the trading post where the community shops for food and dry goods. Buy a delicious snack for the road.
- Watch, listen and experience the trader buy a Navajo rug from a skilled Navajo weaver.
- Experience Joy, at the annual Holiday Luminaria night.
- Wander through the grounds of the Hubbell family homestead and see the barn, bunkhouse, guest hogan, historic farm equipment, horses, chickens, and Navajo Churro sheep.
- Attend a "Sheep, Wool and Weaving" workshop to learn about Navajo Lifeways.
- Join a tour of the historic Hubbell home ($2 / person); the family home of J. L. Hubbell.
- Watch the Navajo artist in the Visitor Center weave a Navajo rug.
- Learn how to weave a Navajo rug first hand on the visitor's loom, also in the Visitor Center.
- Participate in a Native American art auction.