Expect a Good Chance of Showers and Thunderstorms Through the Week.
Monsoonal weather patterns have moved into the Grand Canyon area decreasing fire danger. As a result, on Tuesday, July 8 at 8 a.m. fire managers lifted fire restrictions within Grand Canyon National Park. More »
Two Bats Collected in the Park Have Tested Positive for Rabies
One on the North Kaibab Trail and the other at Tusayan Ruin/Museum. Rabies can be prevented if appropriate medical care is given following an exposure. Any persons having physical contact with bats in Grand Canyon National Park, please follow this link. More »
The Hualapai Tribe and Skywalk
The Skywalk is outside of Grand Canyon National Park.
Read this page to learn how to get there.
The Hualapai (WALL-uh-pie), the "People of the Tall Pines," have lived in the Southwest for untold generations. Traditionally their homelands stretched from Grand Canyon to the Bill Williams River in west-central Arizona and from the Black Mountains bordering the Colorado River to the San Francisco Peaks. Primarily nomadic hunter-gathers, they also traded with nearby tribes. The Hualapai Reservation of just less than 1,000,000 acres (404.868 ha) was established in 1883.
Today the tribe counts about 2,300 members. Peach Springs on Highway 66 is the tribal headquarters. The tribe operates a hotel, restaurant, and gift shop in Peach Springs. While limited ranching, timber harvest, and guided hunts provide some income, the tourist industry offers the best opportunity for employment of tribal members.
Grand Canyon West
To drive to Grand Canyon West, take I-40 to Kingman, Arizona. Turn north on US 93 and proceed about 30 miles to the Pierce Ferry Road; turn right. After 28 miles on the Pierce Ferry Road, turn right on Diamond Bar Road. It is then 14 miles of dirt road and 7 miles of paved road to Grand Canyon West. Shuttle service is available from the reservation boundary for a fee.
Did You Know?
Building a structure that provides the widest possible view of the Grand Canyon yet harmonizes with its setting was architect Mary Colter's goal when the Santa Fe Railroad hired her in 1930 to design a gift shop and rest area at Desert View Point. The Watchtower opened in May of 1933. More...