NPS Issues Decision on Gettysburg’s Cyclorama Building
Contact: Katie Lawhon, (717) 334-1124, ext. 3121
GETTYSBURG, Pa. - The National Park Service has issued a decision regarding the future of the Cyclorama building at Gettysburg National Military Park and concluding the park's environmental assessment (EA) planning process. The decision document, known as a Finding of No Significant Impact, or "FONSI," calls for demolition of the Cyclorama building in order to rehabilitate North Cemetery Ridge on the Gettysburg battlefield to its historic 1863 battle, and 1864 - 1938 commemorative-era appearance.
In March 2010, the United States District Court directed the NPS to undertake a "site-specific environmental analysis on the demolition of the Cyclorama Center" and to consider "non-demolition alternatives" to its demolition before "any implementing action is taken on the Center." Accordingly, the NPS initiated the EA. In 1962 the Cyclorama was built on the center of the Union battle line on Cemetery Ridge near where Union forces repelled Pickett's Charge. The building was designed by Richard Neutra and is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. The park's nonprofit partner, the Gettysburg Foundation, has funds for the demolition of the building which would begin this winter.
The FONSI for the environmental assessment for the Final Disposition of the Gettysburg Cyclorama Building will be available for public review at: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/cycloramaea.
A copy will also be available for review at the Adams County Public Library reference desk at 140 Baltimore Street in Gettysburg.
Gettysburg National Military Park is a unit of the National Park Service that preserves and protects the resources associated with the Battle of Gettysburg and the Soldiers' National Cemetery, and provides an understanding of the events that occurred there within the context of American history. For more information go to www.nps.gov/gett.
Did You Know?
Major General George Gordon Meade was appointed to command the Union "Army of the Potomac" just three days before the battle of Gettysburg. He was honored in 1896 with an equestrian statue at Gettysburg National Military Park.