Sandy Hook's False Tip Closed
The false tip area of Sandy Hook is closed due to safety concerns while the Army Corps of Engineers continues their dredging operations.
Sandy Hook Maritime Structures
The Sandy Hook Light is the oldest standing lighthouse and the oldest operating lighthouse in the United States. It is the only surviving tower of the 11 lighthouses built in the thirteen colonies during the colonial period from 1716 to 1771.
First lit on June 11, 1764, its thick walls protected it from cannonball fire during the Revolutionary War. The Lighthouse Keeper's Quarters, currently a museum, is the fifth Keeper's Quarters built on the site and was constructed in 1883.
The Sandy Hook Light is a National Historic Landmark. It is also part of the Fort Hancock and Sandy Hook Proving Ground Historic District National Historic Landmark.
For a slideshow history of lighthouses click here.
Spermaceti Cove Life-Saving Station, 1894, housed the men who risked their lives saving shipwrecked victims. In 1915 the United States Life-Saving Service became the U.S. Coast Guard. The station was used by the Coast Guard until the late 1940s.
Spermaceti Cove #2 Life-Saving Service Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is also part of the Fort Hancock and Sandy Hook Proving Ground Historic District National Historic Landmark.
Did You Know?
All of Gateway NRA's units include sites that defended New York Harbor from attacks from the sea, from the Revolutionary War through World War II. They are Fort Hancock, Fort Tilden, and Fort Wadsworth. Learn about the history of coastal defense by visiting any of these sites. More...