NPS Seeks Comment on Proposed Regulation for Off-Road Bicycle Trails
NPS has proposed a special regulation to designate and authorize off-road bicycle use on new trails constructed outside of developed areas in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The public is invited to provide comment until Monday, December 15, 2014. More »
Valley Bridle Trail south of SR 303, across from golf course, is collapsed by river. Hard closure. Plateau Trail Bridge, north of Valley Picnic Area is closed. No detours. Plateau & Oak Hill trails are open. More »
Located near Peninsula's historic downtown, Heritage Farms is the village's oldest family-run farm. Lawson Waterman purchased the property between 1844 and 1878. Also known as the Bishop Farm, Heritage Farms illustrates many of the trends associated with Cuyahoga Valley farming, including a long history of self-sufficiency, diverse products, and appeal to local markets.
In Their Own Words
Click the topic to hear a story about Cuyahoga Valley life.
Click here to read the text file.
Heritage Farms Operations (1 minute 2 seconds)
Click to visit the Heritage Farms website.
Business of Farming
Lawson Waterman and his wife Angeline operated a general farm with a large flock of sheep, a dairy, and fields of potatoes. Lawson also owned a boat yard on the Ohio & Erie Canal. Later, nephew Charles E. Bishop inherited the farm. With his wife Kate, Charles expanded the dairy to 50 milking cows. Robert Poole Bishop (Charles' grandson) and his wife Jeanette took over the farm in 1948. They replaced the dairy herd with Aberdeen Angus beef cattle and planted Christmas trees.
A fifth-generation Bishop farmer, Carol Haramis and her husband Kim currently own and operate the farm. Heritage Farms sells Christmas trees, pumpkins, daylilies, and maple syrup; hosts seasonal events, including Peninsula Farmers' Market and Pumpkin Pandemonium; and rents space for meetings and events.
Did You Know?
Lock 27 along the Ohio & Erie Canal became known as Johnnycake Lock after several boats ran aground due to flooding. While stranded, supplies ran low and canal passengers and crew ate only corn meal pancakes, known as "johnnycakes".