• Three kayakers enjoying the river.

    Chattahoochee River

    National Recreation Area Georgia

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Johnson Ferry Intermittent Trail Closures

    Representatives of Colonial Pipeline Company will be working on the gas pipeline in the Johnson Ferry North unit. The work will require intermittent trail closures. For your safety please stay on designated trails and obey all trail closures.

Deadline for Public Comment on National Park Service General Management Plan 6/30/04

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: June 30, 2004
Contact: David Ek, Chief of Science and Resource Management, 678-538-1321

The National Park Service is accepting public comment on the draft General Management Plan/ Environmental Impact Statement until July 30. The plan evaluates four alternatives for the future management of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area over the next 15-20 years. It also defines the strategies that will be implemented to ensure the park is enjoyed by a diverse group of visitors while protecting park resources. Written comments are being accepted by FAX
(770-399-8087 ), email (chat_gmp@nps.gov ), or mail to Superintendent/GMP, Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area, 1978 Island Ford Parkway, Atlanta, GA, 30350. Public comment is needed prior to the plan being finalized.

To review the Draft General Management Plan/Environmental Impact Statement on-line, go to the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area park website at http://www.nps.gov/chat/gmp.htm. Copies of the plan are also available at several public libraries including East Marietta Library in Marietta and the Peachtree Corners Branch in Norcross. A complete list of libraries is included in the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area newsletter, The Journey, also available on the website. For more information, contact the park at 678-538-1321.

Did You Know?

Island Ford Visitor Center - Photo by Matt Harr

Hewlett Lodge was once the Summer home of Georgia Superior Court Justice Samuel Hewlett. Construction began in the 1930s, using timber from the near the Okeefenokee Swamp and stone from Stone Mountain, taking six years to complete. Today it is home to the Island Ford Visitor Center.