• Spring-time view of the seashore, with shorebirds returning to the surf.

    Cape Hatteras

    National Seashore North Carolina

NPS Record of Decision Approved for Cape Hatteras National Seashore’s ORV Management Plan

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: December 20, 2010
Contact: Cyndy Holda, 252-473-2111  Ext. 148

The National Park Service (NPS), Department of the Interior, announces the Record of Decision (ROD) for the Final Environmental Impact Statement for the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Off-Road Vehicle Management Plan (Plan) has been approved and signed by Acting Regional Director Gordon Wissinger. The ROD documents the decision by the NPS to implement Alternative F, the NPS Preferred Alternative (the "selected action").

The selected action is necessary to regulate ORV use at the Seashore in a manner that is consistent with applicable law and to appropriately address resource protection (including protected, threatened, or endangered species), potential conflicts among the various Seashore users, and visitor safety. The selected action provides the basis for a proposed special regulation for ORV use at the Seashore. Section 4.10(b) of the NPS regulations in Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), which implements Executive Orders 11644 and 11989, prohibits ORV use except on routes and areas designated in a special regulation. The ORV plan and special regulation are necessary to provide continued visitor access through the use of ORVs.

The Record of Decision is available on the NPS Planning Environment and Public Comment (PEPC) website at: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/caha.  For additional information, contact the PEPC website or park superintendent Mike Murray at Superintendent, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, 1401 National Park Drive, Manteo, NC 27954, (252) 473-2111 x 148.

Did You Know?

The Principal Lightkeeper's Quarters and the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse move toward their new homes, a safer distance from the ocean.

The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is the tallest brick structure ever moved. When it was built in 1870, it stood 1,500 feet from the shore. By 1999, the lighthouse was within 100 feet of the ocean. To protect it from the encroaching sea, it was moved inland a total of 2,900 feet over a 23-day period.