Fee Collection for Backcountry Permits
Navajo Nation Parks & Recreation Dept (NPRD) has a new office at the Cottonwood Campground. NPRD who manages the canyon tour operations will be collecting fees for the backcountry permits starting May 1, 2014. Call NPRD at 928-674-2106 for information.
History & Culture
THE PLACE CALLED TSEYI'
Millions of years of land uplifts and stream cutting created the colorful sheer cliff walls of Canyon de Chelly. Natural water sources and rich soil provided a variety of resources, including plants and animals that have sustained families for thousands of years. The Ancient Puebloans found the canyons an ideal place to plant crops and raise families. The first settlers built pit houses that were then replaced with more sophisticated homes as more families migrated to the area. More homes were built in alcoves to take advantage of the sunlight and natural protection. People thrived until the mid-1300’s when the Puebloans left the canyons to seek better farmlands.
Descendants of the Puebloans, the Hopi migrated into the canyons to plant fields of corn and orchards of peaches. Although the Hopi left this area to permanently settle on the mesa tops to the west, the Hopi still hold on to many of their traditions that are evident from their homes and kivas.
Related to the Athabaskan people of Northern Canada and Alaska, the Navajo settled the Southwest between the four sacred mountains. The Navajo, or Dine' as they call themselves, continue to raise families and plant crops just as the “Ancient Ones” had. The farms, livestock and hogans of the Dine’ are visible from the canyon rims.
Administrative History of Canyon de Chelly, published in 1976. (PDF)
Did You Know?
Canyon de Chelly National Monument may close or restrict travel into the canyon due to hazardous conditions or the protection of resources. Seasonal flooding from thunderstorms and melting snow can occur. Call ahead regarding canyon conditions.