Things to know about backcountry permits:
- Permits will be issued in person only, during normal visitor center hours, and may be obtained up to 24 hours in advance of the trip.
- Permit cost is $10 for overnight use ($5 with an applicable pass). There is no charge for day-use river or stock permits.
- Permits are issued on a first come, first-served basis. During peak visitation periods permits are in high demand, so plan an alternative itinerary.
- Permit authorizes camping only at designated sites in the Chisos Mountains or at designated backcountry roadside campsites. You must choose your campsite(s) at the time the permit is issued. Zone camping also requires specifying a particular zone for each night.
- Permits may be written for up to 14 consecutive nights.
- Permit changes may be made without an additional fee, provided no new days are added. Permit changes must be made in person.