Photo by Sally King
Before the construction of the entrance road in the late 1930's, the Frey Trail ( 1.5 miles one way) was the main route to enter and exit Frijoles Canyon. The trail begins at Juniper Campground and makes its way to the edge of the canyon where it switchbacks down to the canyon floor (>550' elevation change). The trail provides excellent bird's eye views of Tyuonyi as well as a foot route from the campground to the visitor center. A somewhat strenuous trail at any time, it can be exceedingly difficult in summer as there is little shelter from the sun along the trail. Be sure and always carry plenty of water.