Access by Shuttle Bus Only
Through October 27, 2014 all access to the most visited part of the park, Frijoles Canyon, will be via a mandatory shuttle bus from the nearby community of White Rock from 9 AM - 3 PM daily. Private cars may drive in before 9 AM or after 3 PM. More »
Main Loop Trail Stop 12
NPS Photo by Stella Carroll
This house was reconstructed in 1920 to give visitors an idea of how some cliff homes may have looked. New archeological information suggests this reconstruction may not be completely accurate. Entry to this dwelling, as in Tyuonyi, was probably through a doorway in the roof, not in the front of the structure.
Rows of viga holes indicate the level of the roofs of the structures built in front of the cavates. These small dwellings would have had mud-plastered walls and floors that needed constant maintenance.
Did You Know?
Mule deer fawns only keep their spots for the first several months of life. These spots provide camouflage for the young animals when their mothers must leave them to feed.