|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Anne Derousie, 315.568.2179
Seneca Falls, NY - Women’s Rights National Historical Park and the Waterloo Library and Historical Society offer a presentation on changes to the Hunt House and property from the Civil War to the present and a behind-the-scenes tour of the house and grounds on April 28 at 2 PM as part of the year-long research program, “HUNT FOR THE HUNTS.”
The imposing pillared house at 401 E. Main Street in Waterloo has changed since it sheltered the recently-widowed Mrs. Jane M. Hunt and her minor children on the eve of the Civil War. In 1857, the simply-fronted house and wings, barns, and carriage house anchored a working farm stretching from the Seneca River to Balsey Rd. As one of three executors, Jane M. Hunt managed the farm and house.
Mrs. Hunt inherited use of the house and furniture as long as she resided in the house and remained unmarried. The bulk of the late Richard P. Hunt’s property in Waterloo, including today’s Shoppe Mall, brick houses throughout the village, and leases and mortgages county-wide, was held in trust for the children. Hunt family members lived in the house until the early 20th century. Women’s Rights National Historical Park acquired the property in 2001 to preserve it as the site where five women, including Jane Hunt, determined to hold the first women’s rights convention the nation had ever seen.
For more information, contact Anne Derousie, Women’s Rights National Historical Park at 568-2179 or Jim Hughes, Waterloo Library and Historical Society at 539-0533.