News Release

Stone and Rose: New exhibit celebrates craftsmanship of White House stonemasons

stone carved in the shape of a rose

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
News Release Date: September 24, 2018

Contact: Jenny Anzelmo-Sarles, 202-619-7177

Contact: Jessica Fredericks, 202-737-8292 ext. 316

WASHINGTON – The White House Visitor Center is displaying a newly carved Double Scottish Rose that celebrates the legacy of the original stonemasons of the White House. The Double Scottish Rose design became popular in the 18th century and was a great source of pride for the people of Scotland, including the Scottish stonemasons who worked on the White House in the 1790s. The design appears throughout the White House exterior walls, columns, porticos and above the North Door.

The exhibit’s stone carving was created this year by Charles Jones, a Scottish stonemason with Historical Environment Scotland and Dale Lupton of the National Park Service’s Historic Preservation Training Center. The stone is from the same quarry in Aquia, Virginia that produced the stone used in the construction of the White House.

“The stonemasons of Scotland today are the legacy of great craftsman from the 18th century who came to Washington and created the beautiful carvings that we still see on the White House,” said Stewart McLaurin, President of the White House Historical Association. “We are thrilled to have this newly carved reminder of that extraordinary stonemason talent.”

“The National Park Service proudly preserves the intricate stonework of the White House, and we’re excited about this new opportunity to tell the stories of the stonemasons who built it,” said John Stanwich of the National Park Service.

This exhibit was produced through the White House Historical Association’s partnership with the National Park Service, White House Office of the Curator and Historic Environment Scotland. The exhibit will run through October at the White House Visitors Center, located at 1450 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20230.

###

About The White House Historical Association
First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy envisioned a restored White House that conveyed a sense of history through its decorative and fine arts. In 1961, the White House Historical Association was established to support her vision to preserve and share the Executive Mansion’s legacy for generations to come. Supported entirely by private resources, the Association’s mission is to assist in the preservation of the state and public rooms, fund acquisitions for the White House permanent collection, and educate the public on the history of the White House. Since its founding, the White House Historical Association has contributed more than $47 million in fulfillment of its mission. To learn more about the White House Historical Association, please visit www.whitehousehistory.org.

About the National Park Service
About the National Park Service: More than 20,000 National Park Service employees care for America’s 417 national parks and work with communities across the nation to help preserve local history and create close-to-home recreational opportunities. The National Park Service has cared for the White House and its grounds since 1933. President’s Park, which includes the Ellipse and Lafayette Park, was officially included in the national park system in 1961. Visit us at: www.nps.gov, on Facebook: www.facebook.com/nationalparkservice, Twitter: www.twitter.com/natlparkservice, and YouTube: www.youtube.com/nationalparkservice.
 



Last updated: September 24, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

1849 C Street NW
Room 1426

Washington, DC 20240

Phone:

(202) 208-1631

Contact Us