General Winter Tips
- The color orange on stakes means danger.
- The shape of a diamond on a sign or two trail sticks crossed like an "X" denotes danger.
- Thin Ice signs are no joke; do not go past. The area of thin ice may be just a short distance ahead, and not apparent or visible.
- Crossing a pressure ridge should only be done after personally evaluating if it is safe to do so (even if marked as a place to cross) because conditions can change and large pockets of open water can form near the ridge.
- For additional information on ice safety, visit the MN DNR website.