Visitors to Voyageurs National Park are asked to do their part to prevent unwanted fire incidents. Some important guidelines to follow are listed below.
Building a Safe Campfire
- Build campfires in designated areas only.
- Avoid building a fire near overhanging branches, steep slopes, rotten stumps, logs, dry grass, or leaves.
- Keep campfires small.
- Never leave a campfire unattended.
- Never leave children alone with a campfire.
- Campfires may be banned during times of high fire danger. Watch for signs and obey restrictions.
Putting Out a Campfire
- Keep plenty of water on hand for a quick response if the fire becomes uncontrollable.
- Drown the fire with water making sure all embers, coals, and sticks are wet.
- Stir the remains, then add more water and stir again.
- Carefully run the back of your hand near the surface of the fire coals to double check all heat is gone.
Voyageurs National Park conforms to the fire restrictions established by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MN DNR). See the MN DNR Wildfire Information Center for current fire restrictions at Voyageurs National Park and throughout Minnesota, as well as current fire activity throughout the state.